Monday, September 04, 2006

This is the birdhaus, after all

Every now and then, when the weight of stress and strain that this world entails seems too much, it is helpful to stop, breathe, and see just where the fuck I am. This morning I am off for Labor Day, and this normally means diving into the financial records of the birdhaus, updating the check books, cleaning up, etc. I did some of that, but then I heard an odd little clicking noise, like someone gurgling in the back of their throat. I looked out the window, and there was a family of quail.

We have been seeing the mated pair around the property for a while, and I was wondering when the babies would make there appearance. Today is the day. At least for a little while, the concerns of neocon insanity and monetary pursuits were far away, and I allowed myself to be charmed by my avian neighbors. Life does go on, after all.


It's nice to know that I live in such a beautiful place, with a connection to the natural world that can give me peace and solace, so long as I remember to take advantage of it. I think, for this moment, I'm going to do just that!

No comments: