Sunday, May 15, 2011

16 years is a long time without a drink (or drug) for a drunk

Sixteen years ago today I committed myself to living a clean and sober life, and I have to say it has been a time full of ups and downs, but I don't regret a moment of it. I have learned and continue to learn that this life is a "dark ride" as John Larroquette might say, but it is also full of incredible light and joy. Sixteen years ago I had no idea where I would be today, BUT, here I am.

I have immense gratitude that I have been able to make it this far. And I have immense faith that the future holds more blessings and wonder ahead. I give thanks to all the people who have been there along the way to offer help or just a friendly ear, and I hope that if you are in need, I can be there for you.

The gift I have is so precious, and yet I must give it away if I wish to keep it. Ain't that amazing?

Here's a little song from the late great SRV that is relevant, to say the least:

No comments: