Saturday, February 27, 2010

The "tough shit" response

(Via Media Matters)
Right-wing media figures have mocked Democrats' descriptions of hardships faced by their constituents who lack health insurance, including a story Rep. Louise Slaughter told about a woman who wore dentures that previously belonged to her dead sister. For example, Rush Limbaugh said, "So if you don't have any teeth, so what? What's applesauce for?"
On his February 26 radio show, Glenn Beck played an audio clip of Slaughter's account then said, "I am wearing George Washington's dentures right now. I'm wearing his teeth right now." He later added, "I just like wearing dead people's teeth. But in America -- I'm sorry, I didn't know that that was -- I've read the Constitution before. I didn't see that you had a right to teeth." Echoing Limbaugh's remarks the previous day, Beck stated, "The environmentalists should be all over Slaughter. 'How dare you say that?' My gosh, they're just recycling. They're just reusing."
I thought a few years back there was something called "compassionate conservatism" that was lauded as a way to help people. Apparently, at least for these two jackasses, not so much any more. This kind of horseshit is just plain mean.

This also may show the underlying reason that the Republicans and the right wing oppose and form of healthcare assistance: they want poorer people to suffer so they can feel superior.

I mean, what's the point of being rich if you can't look down on those less fortunate, eh?

No comments: