Saturday, January 09, 2010

Shakin' All Overrrrrrr . . . .


There was a good sized earthquake centered about 2 or 3 hours to the north of our Northern California home about 4:28 this afternoon. I was working at the computer when the sliding doors that lead out to our back yard started rattling. They sometimes do that when there are big waves at the ocean a couple of miles away, so at first I thought nothing of it. When it continued and got more intense, I felt the floor shaking beneath my chair, and the windows and walls started rattling as well. I got up and asked my wife, who was napping in the living room, if she could feel it. She said that she had heard a rumbling through the pillow she had her head on start about five seconds or so before she felt the trembling start.

By that time it was over, about twenty-five seconds of so after it started. We went right onto the United States Geological Survey site, which is the go-to resource for such events, and at that point it still wasn't reporting the quake. We put in our report on the "Did You Feel It?" link, and by that time the site showed that a 6.5 quake had happened of the coast about 33 miles west of Eureka, California.

I have to say, it was an exciting experience, and probably the most pronounced quake I've felt in about 12 years or so. I understand there were no major injures reported, so far, and I hope that remains the case. If the shaking had continued much longer, that excitement would have started moving into fear, and I doubt I'd be being so glib about it. The pictures I am reposting here are from Eureka, as posted on Twitter soon after the quake by AmyEureka.

There have been some aftershocks as well, and we'll see how this all shakes out . . . pun definitely intended.

No comments: